Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Following

I don't know if anyone noticed, but a while back, I removed the follower gadget from my blog. I've removed a lot of superfluous stuff from it as a matter of fact. I'm thinking of getting rid of more. I don't really know if I can explain why I did it. I'll try, but I'm sure I won't do a very good job.

Let's see....I think I'm just like any other normal human being. I like having friends and making connections with others. I have truly enjoyed finding and getting to know, in at least a small measure, the people I have met through the blogging community. I hope I don't make myself too much of a nuisance to them. You know, commenting on their blogs all the time, thereby making them feel like they have to comment on mine even though they don't want too. If you don't want too, you really don't have too.

Because I'm a normal human being, I do feel flattered that people read the fluff I write. It gives me kind of a giddy, childish feeling to know that. That being said, I'm sure there are also people who read because they think I'm ridiculous and they like to laugh at me. I don't mind. It's just life. In fact, it kind of makes me feel normal if someone out there can't stand this blog. I don't care whether I know those who read, or not. They can read and they can comment, or not. I don't write what I write in the hopes of generating lots of comments. (Although, it is nice and very much appreciated when they are left.) I write what's on my mind. That's it. That's not entirely true, I don't write everything that's on my mind. Maybe I should. ☺


When I first installed the follower gadget, I kind of liked it and it made me kind of nervous at the same time. I know that sounds stupid, but it's always felt like a double edged sword. It lets you know who likes you, but it also lets others know just how many like you. A popularity contest almost. She who dies with the most friends wins. I don't like that. In fact, I think the attitude is pretty stupid and it annoys me. Tremendously. Always has and always will. I'm not in this to win it. I want this to be a no pressure situation for me and for those who read. So, if you're sick of following me, or you wish you had never started, it's really okay that you want to stop.


I don't like thinking someone out there who only has 3 followers, might look at my blog and see that I have 32 and then feel bad about themselves. I don't say that because I have an over-inflated opinion of myself. Oh, look at me. I have 32 followers. Nanner, nanner. I just used myself as an example. I don't look at someone who has 90 and think I must be doing something wrong. That's just plain silly and will get me nowhere, other than feeling bad about myself, really fast. I know there are people out there who are all about gathering all of the followers they can. Fine. It's just not me. I'd rather have a few follow because they truly want too, or none at all rather than feel pressure (real or imagined) to one up someone all. the. time.

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Well said, Christa. I have never had the gadget on my blog, for the same reasons. I know people think I have a million followers, and I have a few, but it's not as many as people probably think. And no one will know because it's not staring them in the face.

I also took off a lot of things on my sidebar, like awards. I like awards, but they too are a double edged sword, with people feeling bad if you don't pass it along to them, etc.

Erin said...

Ahhh, the follower issue. I really hate it too. I keep it at the bottom of my blog because some people have told me that they use it instead of Google Reader, and it's easier for them to figure out if the follower thing is there. But I don't like it myself - it just makes me feel exhausted. I'm tired of the popularity contest. I could go on with my rant, but I'll stop there.

P.S. I read and comment on your blog because I like you.

Jillene said...

I am not in it for the followers either. I am doing it for journaling purposes and who knew people would actually read or like what I have to say?! I just thought my close friends and family would read and that would be the extent of it. I honestly don't freak out if someone stops following. I like comments too but I don't base my posts on how many comment I think I will get. It is what it is.

The Van V's said...

Amen sister!!!

Amy said...

I totally agree, it seems like my blog started out as just a journal and then I fell into the popular thing and all the crap that went with it. Now I am back to the journal thing. I actually did not even know you could remove the follower gadget. I think I am going to go do it! and I too like reading your blog and seeing what you are up to! Did you go to the closing of Granite?

Jules AF said...

There is nothing ridiculous about you or your blog!

Lisa said...

Well, you couldn't beat me away from your blog with a stick. ;-)
I feel pretty much the same as you about followers. The one thing it does for me is help me assimilate in my head the people who are commenting. It's like I recognize them and puts a face with their comments and emails.

I love your blog and it always gives me a boost.

Kristen said...

I decided to just stop following blogs altogether. I think it's more fun to actually go to their blog than to see it in the blog account. I never even looked at them there, and it was bothering me to have all the unread stories when I had actually gone to the blogs and read them there. Anyway. I feel the same way. :)