Friday, June 10, 2011

Teenage Wasteland

Tyler is only 11 and so, I guess he's technically considered a "tween", but he's already displaying teenage behaviors. Actually, he's thought of himself as one for years. ☺ He first asked me if he could drive the car when he was 4 and in preschool. When I told him he had to be 16 to drive, he thought that was extremely rude and unfair. He tried to reason with me/talk me into it/whined about it for days.

He's a very cerebral kid and never been much of a dreamer. He has an imagination, but pretend games have never really been his thing. He's more of a surf the Internet, play video games, hang out with teenagers or adults, type of kid. Don't get me wrong, he has plenty of friends his own age and does hang out with them, he just can't wait until he's "older" and can participate in the magical activites of teenagers.

He's getting more and more sassy. Like, sassy in the way that you feel like knocking his block off because he's being such a punk. He's becoming more and more moody. Hormonal moods are NO fun. He's thinking I'm less cool. Sad. Oh, and that I'm not very smart. He's always been kind of a know it all because he's so darn smart, but he's now a moody, almost teenager know it all. He wants lots of independence. He's starting to decide that hanging out with his family isn't such a cool thing. Double sad. And the biggest thing that makes him seem like a teenager: he's been sleeping in on Saturdays and everyday since summer break started. Like, until 9:30, or later. He didn't get up until 10:00 today. The poor little dear is just so tired all the time. ☺ He used to be an up at the crack of dawn kind of kid. Now, all he wants to do is sleep. (I remember being that way and if I'm going to be really honest, I still pretty much am. If I could be left alone and undisturbed in my bed, I know I could easily sleep in until at least 9:30. Probably later. Ryan is an early bird and so this sleeping in thing doesn't fly with him. If we sleep in past 8:00, he feels like half the day is already gone and wasted.) Oh, and eat. My goodness, can the boy eat. He's constantly rifling through the cupboards or refrigerator, looking for something to snack on. He's going to eat us out of house and home. He really will be taller than me before too much longer. I'm not sure if I'm ready to have a son tall enough to look down at me. In fact, it kind of scares me. Unfortunately, ready or not, it's happening. AAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

P.S. I know he'll read this. So, message to Tyler: no more lazy bones. Your sleeping in until 10:00 days are over. So says your dad, and I guess me.

1 comment:

{Rebecca Fellows} said...

Buckle up. The ride is about to begin! Oh and by the end of the summer, I'm pretty sure I'll be the shortest person in my family.