Thursday, July 3, 2008

What the...?

Last night we put the kids to bed at around 9:00. Ryan went to the Stake Center to play basketball and I started finishing up my last tasks of the day. Tyler came upstairs at around 10:00 and said he had a headache. So, I gave him something for it and was about to send him back to bed with an ice pack. Just before he was going to go, Cameron appeared in the kitchen as well. They both wanted a snack before they went back to bed. (They've still been sleeping in the same room.) I complied and sent them downstairs with string cheese. Cameron came back after only a couple of minutes, complaining that his cheese smelled funny and he didn't want to eat it. I wasn't surprised. He has moments like that all the time. I told him to throw it away if he didn't want to eat it and to get back to Tyler's bed. He hesitated and then said, "I'm not sure if I want to sleep in there tonight." What the? I was sure that the slumber parties would be continuing indefinitely. In fact, I've been able to use the fact that they want to sleep in the same room as leverage. I've been able to threaten that they won't be able to when I can't get them to do something. I asked what the problem was, I thought that he liked sleeping in Tyler's room. He said, "I do. I'm just not sure if I want to tonight." I told him, "Fine. Then get your pillow and blanket and go to your own room." He said, "But I'm not sure what I want to do. I want you to help me to decide." Yeah right he wanted me to help him decide. Cameron will say stuff like that, but he doesn't really mean it because he usually disagrees with what you suggest. I told him that he had to decide on his own what he wanted to do. I said that I knew he liked sleeping in Tyler's room, but I didn't want to make the decision for him. He said, "You're the mom and you should be telling me the right thing to do. It's your job to help me make the right decision." I suppressed a laugh and said, "Fine. I say that you should sleep in your own room." He didn't argue. So, we went down to Tyler's room to get his things. Tyler was laying in his bed with the ice pack and when I told him what was happening he was totally perplexed. He tried to convince Cameron to stay, but didn't put up too much of a fight because of the headache. I grabbed Cameron's stuff and took him to his room. He told me that we had to say another prayer together since he was in his own room now. We did and he said as he was falling asleep, "I think I'm done sleeping in Tyler's room. I think that I want to sleep in my own bed again." I don't know what brought about the change of heart. Maybe the last month of sleep deprivation finally caught up to him. We'll see what happens tonight.

2 comments:

Jillene said...

That is SO Cameron! I love that he wanted you to "step up and be the mom" all of the sudden! He is hilarious! He truly is one of a kind! (Oh wait--no he's not! He is JUST LIKE HIS DAD!!) (0:

Bobie said...

Love these stories of your kids. It makes me smile. It reminds me that I'm not the only one going through these things. Come on mom, you tell me what to do???? Like that ever works????