Friday, January 29, 2010

Delusional

I've been trying to tell myself for the past few years (since after Peyton was born) that I really don't look that different than I did before I had kids. Yes, I have the mom muffin top, (which is shrinking again thanks to my renewed exercise program and calorie counting) but I kind of thought that was it. Wrong. So very wrong.

I was looking at old pictures last night and finally saw and acknowledged the truth. I look nothing like I did before I had kids. I'm lumpy and roly-poly and squishy and gross. Like, everywhere. Picture the Michelin man and you should get an idea of what I look like. I don't even look anything like I did after having just one or two. It's crazy how fast and how much my body has changed. (Then there's Ryan who has been the size he is now since he was 15. And he'll probably stay that size for most of his life. Jerk. It's a good thing I love him.) It depressed me for about 30 seconds and then it motivated me to try harder. I think I'm going to hang up (in my bedroom, out of public view) pictures of my pre-kid self and pictures of me now. I know that I will never look exactly the way I did before, but I'm going to try to get as close as I can. I don't want to be lumpy for the rest of my life.

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

You do not look like the Michelin man. I would say very few of us look like we did back in our hey days.

Christa said...

Maybe I'll have to post a pic of the entire Hendriksen family that was taken in November. Then you will all see how very much like the Michelin man I look. It's just one roll after the other right on down to my tree trunk legs. ☺

I know I'll never again look the way I did at 20, but I can certainly look better.

Ang said...

I think you look great for having four kids. I know what you mean though, we are the hardest critics on ourselves. I guess this is our thanks for bringing kids into the world. I think getting old or older is God's cruel joke on all of us.

Anonymous said...

We need to figure out how to bring muffin tops back in style. I think we are going about this all wrong with this "get healthy" stuff. We need to start a "Get Fluffy" campaign ;)

Rosie and Derek said...

No you do not look like the Michelin man!!!
I'm scared to death about losing the baby weight after this baby comes, it's crazy how quickly I put on weight when I'm pregnant.