Monday, September 21, 2009

My report

I've finished my first complete week of For Just One Week. Remember how I said that once I tried this during the week of Avery's birthday and my goal was to go without sugar for the week. Well, I only succeeded 6 out of the seven days because of her birthday. I was silly to think I could resist cake and ice cream on a birthday. This time around, I'm 7 out of 7. You're right, I rock. Here's the breakdown:

I read the first 97 pages of The Book of Mormon and now have a schedule to finish it by the end of the year. I haven't read it cover to cover since 9th grade seminary. That was like 6 years ago, ☺, or 6+14.

I also read this novel and am 100 pages into this one. I'm not good at book reviews and so I won't even try. I'll just tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed the first. It was a nice, easy, fun read. As for the second, I'm enjoying it so far. It's a modern/contemporary retelling of Hamlet and I've found it very intriguing. It's actually been hard for me to put it down.

This was such a good goal for me, I plan to continue with it indefinitely. My brain really needs the exercise.

****************************************

Now, on to my goal for this week. FJ1W, I am going to try my absolute hardest to not YELL. Most people think that I'm just so quiet, mild mannered and easy going. I am. In public. In private, it's an entirely different story. I yell and sometimes, I yell a lot. I let frustrations get the best of me and end up blowing a gasket. I know it's not pretty. I especially know that it's not nice. It gets the whole house riled up and agitated. I really want to NOT do it. So, for this week I am going to try my best to keep my temper in check.

"A soft answer turneth away wrath." -Proverbs 15:1


*********************************


What's on the menu: Ravioli Lasagna. I got the idea for this from my sister-in-law's mom. It's really good and for some reason, my kids will eat it better than regular lasagna. Don't ask me why, because it's pretty much the same thing.


6 comments:

Jules AF said...

No yelling? I'd never last.

Jillene said...

Good for you. I love to read and do it as often as I can. I haven't read the BOM from cover to cover since I was on bed rest with Hannah--7 years ago. I start and get to about Alma and then fizz out. I think that I will start and finish it before I start a new book.

I just finished reading The Shack. It was a little disturbing and strange but a good read.

I need to try the not yelling for 1 week. I am so bad. I really try so hard but I have no patience and a really bad temper. Not a good combination.

Kristina P. said...

My scripture reading hasn't been going as well as I had planned.

Emily said...

I need to read my scriptures more too. and a good book. On the house we just have to have 500 down. I'll have Rusty call our realtor to make sure we still get the money if we're only paying 500. I will not be happy if it is more than that!

Erin said...

Ooh, good luck to you! Let us know how it goes.

Heather said...

I tried not to yell for a while too. I posted this scripture on my magnet board:
D&C 88:125 And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity...

I thought about it as I was getting dressed every morning. Not only do I need to get dressed literally, I need to clothe my spirit as well.

I need to try again. Thanks for the reminder. :)