Saturday, August 9, 2008

Thanks for being crazy Emily (156)

It has been very quiet around my house for the past 48 hours. Ahhhhh! I have enjoyed every minute of it. Ryan's sister Emily, took Tyler, Cameron and Avery to Delta with she and Rusty on Thursday afternoon. Darrell & Heather also went then. The rest of the family went last night. We were party poopers and didn't go. Emily asked us a couple of months ago if we would like to, but we decided then that it would be too close to our vacation. We thought that we should save the money we would spend on gas, for t-shirts for the kids that say, "My mom & dad went to London/Paris and all I got was this stupid t-shirt." Emily said she didn't mind taking the kids even if we didn't want to go. I thought for a second and said, "Well...ok! Fine with me!"

I went for a lovely pedi yesterday and then went and had new tires put on the car. Ummm...I thought that I was supposed to be saving money by staying home. Oh well. They were in pretty bad shape. The right rear one was going bald, splitting and had metal from the guts poking through. I didn't want to be leaving our crappy car for family to drive the kids around in while we were on vacation. It's ok if tires fall off while I'm driving (yes that has happened), but someone else is another story. That's all I intended to have done when I went it, but I knew that the front rotors weren't great and the alignment was off. I asked them to fix those as well. Turns out the u-joints needed to be replaced (you mean the rattling and clanking sounds it's been making aren't normal), the front end aligned, the rotors were too thin to be machined and had to be replaced, the brakes as well. Oh yeah, and the master cylinder was going too. Yeah, that's how I roll. I like to live on the edge and see just how close I can get the car to being totally worthless before I decide to go and get it fixed. I'm just glad it's done now and I no longer feel embarrassed as I'm driving because it doesn't sound like the entire thing is rattling on it's frame anymore.

3 comments:

Jillene said...

How nice for you!! I wish I had someone like Emily that would take my kids off my hands for 48 hours. I guess I will just have to settle for an overnighter on the 21st. We are going to the Castle Creek Inn for our Anniversary.

I am glad that you got the car fixed. Heaven forbid something happen to you with all 4 kids in the car and no cell phone. What a quandry. At least now I will know that you will be safe--for the time being!

Kristina P. said...

This reminds me that we need to get 4 new tires for Adam's SUV. There goes $400 down the drain. Although, it might save his life, so I guess it's OK.

Bobie said...

I can't get over the no cell phone thing. It blows my mind. Anyway, I'm glad your car is fixed. I'm sure that was a HUGE expense. That sucks!!! But very sweet of Emily to take the kids. How very quiet your house must have been for that short time. I hope you got to enjoy it a little.