Saturday, June 28, 2008

It's official

I officially suck at running. I went this morning with Bobie & Sheena to do a practice run in preparation for the 5k that we're doing on the 4th of July. I've only ever run on the treadmill. Never outside on a hard surface. We decided to run the track at Hunter High School. I made it around 1 1/2 times and then my feet cramped up and my toes started to tingle. What the heck? I actually couldn't even really feel the bottom of my feet or my toes. They were that numb and it hurt. That hasn't happened for months. It especially hasn't happened since I got my fancy new shoes. I know that I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and when I've been running on the treadmill it's hurt before, but I've been able to walk the cramps out. I can usually "fake" my way through anything. I didn't feel like I could even do that today. It was extremely frustrating. I mean, I've had 3 kids without any pain medicine and I've made it through that just fine. In fact, I didn't ever think that it was so bad that I couldn't take it. These foot cramps were very debilitating.

I have only been running on the treadmill and there have been times when I've had some cramping in my feet, but nothing that I couldn't deal with. Certainly, nothing this bad for months. I can go for a good 30+ minutes without any trouble. I will admit that for the past 3 weeks I've only run on an average of 3 times a week. I've let it slide since school let out. Today was just unexpected and very frustrating. I think that I should have done just fine. It's not like I'm at the beginning of all of this. This wasn't the first time I've ran. I feel like a real baby because I really do run and for a longer period of time than 7 minutes. I think that it's finally time for me to go to Salt Lake Running Co. and get them to assess me.

3 comments:

Bobie said...

I think you have a definite medical problem with your feet. The pavement is much harder on your feet than the treadmill. Don't be so hard on yourself. You've lost weight, you look great, and we can walk the 5k on Friday if we need to. You saw me... run some, walk some, jog some, walk some, walk fast some, run some more.... I don't have a steady pattern EVER. As long as we can say we did it... who cares how!!! I am sure Dr. Burleigh at Granger Medical can you help you. His number is 965-3425. You should see if you can get in before next friday. The cortisone injections did wonders for my feet!!

Jillene said...

You are WAY too hard on yourself!! You probably have something wrong with your feet. Also-are the cramps like charile-horses? If so increase your intake of potasium. I have that problem in my legs and in my feet.

Laurel said...

So, did you go in and get checked? You're being too rough on yourself....running outside is VERY different than on the treadmill, and there are good benefits to both. I've really come to love running outside but I still run on the treadmill at times too. LMK what you find out - I've been thinking of you :o)

Love, Laurel