Thursday, June 5, 2008

No more teachers, no more books

The last day of school is upon us and I'm kind of glad. I say kind of because I am ready for a little break. For myself and for my kids. However, I am sure that once their swimming lessons are over in 2 weeks (they start June 9th) I will be ready for them to go back. (Yes, I really do love them.) Summer boredom is the pits. I guess I'll have to work hard to keep them occupied, but this is supposed to be a vacation for me too, right?

Another thing I'm not so glad about is having the entire neighborhood over here everyday. The kids from up the street showed up last summer, everyday at around 8:00. I can't ever get them to leave. If we would go somewhere, they would be hanging out in our front yard when we got home. They're constantly begging for food when they're here too. They don't have the most attentive parents. They don't have any idea where they are 99% of the time. One father called on Tuesday night this week at 8:45 p.m. wondering if his 9 year old son was at my house, or did I know where he was. No, I didn't know where he was. Isn't that supposed to be his job? At that time of the night, my kids have been in for hours and have had a bath and are ready for bed. I think I'm going to put my foot down this year and tell their mothers that there are restrictions on them being here. Only 30 minutes per day (yeah, right) and I won't be feeding them anything either. :0)

4 comments:

Bobie said...

No more teachers dirty looks!! I'm glad summer is here too. My kids get the summer boredom really fast though, but I think I have a plan for that!! We shall see if it works. Lucky for me Tiana and Tina are awesome with the kids and keep them entertained and busy. As for the neighborhood kids... Put out a warning sign... no children allowed beyond this point!! he he

Rosie and Derek said...

Last week was our last week of school and I've already been ready for them to go back a few times. :) But we do have some fun plans for the summer-- swimming lessons, summer movies, some fieldtrips, etc.
I totally know what you mean by having the whole neighborhood at your house! That is what I dread most about summer. The kids that are over here every day don't come from the kind of home where I would send my kids over to play. I get sick of cleaning others kids' messes that aren't my own kids. I made the mistake of letting some of them have fruit snacks one day and then they expected to be fed all the time after that. We now have a no-food-for-friends rule. And no one is allowed over before lunch. :)

Jami said...

You could send out a memo to all the parents letting them know of your rules and expectations of their children when they are at your house. hehe Because prices of everything are going sky high, how can anyone expect you to feed the whole neighborhood. What are they thinking.

Jillene said...

I just say you have to be mean about it. You don't need all of those kids at your house everyday!! You should tell the parents that no one is allowed to knock on the door until after lunch time and that play time is 30 minutes ONLY!! Or better yet--just don't let them over at all!!