Friday, April 18, 2008

How clean is your house?

How clean is your house? is a television show on BBC America and I love watching it. It's morbidly fascinating to see just how disgusting some people will let their homes get. I'm not saying that I'm the perfect homemaker, far from it. However, I do try to do things on a fairly regular basis. For example, I have just finished doing the dishes, cleaning up the kitchen and vacuuming and dusting my living room. I'm pausing for a few moments before I head off to clean my bathroom. I guess that sounds like a lot, but in reality it's only taken me about an hour to do all of that. One thing that I am OCD about is dusting. I dust my living room and other areas at least twice a week. In fact, I do it so much that I've made the top of my piano so slick that pictures slid right off and the frames have broken. Let me tell you why I do this. DUST MITES! They are truly disgusting creatures. They feed on flakes of human skin and we each shed 1 gram of skin everyday. They go to the toilet often and their feces contain harmful enzymes. Asthma, eczema, bronchitis, itchy eyes or a stuffy nose can all be exacerbated or caused by dust mites. To keep the dust mite population under control you have to clean. You have to vacuum regularly to remove the dust mite food - your skin flakes. Dust with damp cloths to avoid making the dust airborne. Air out your house because warm, humid homes provide ideal conditions for them. They especially love living in our beds because they are warm and moist. They attach themselves to the fibers of our bedding and mattresses with the claws on each of their eight legs. So, wash your sheets at least once a week in hot water (140 F). Turn you mattress every so often also. So, now you know why I HAVE to dust. All I can see when I see dust is gross little creatures with sharp teeth gnawing away on skin.

No comments: